see more and know our vision
What is Coolgap?
CoolGap is the most recent disruption in the field of inductive components heat dissipation. CoolGap concept can be applied to bobbins (coil former) for wire wound magnetic devices which are refrigerated by a non-electro-conductive coolant liquid. This bobbin appears to be particularly useful for magnetic components used in on board power converters for electric and hybrid vehicles that make use of customized magnetic power components to increase power density.
- 1. Improved thermal performance
- Coolgap technology increases heat transfer rate, optimizing component thermal management, reducing the use of potting compounds and aluminum housings.
- 2. Lower weight
- Safely cooled higher power density components leads to lower part weight. In magnetic components, weight can be reduced up to 50% considering fixed max. temperature.
- 3. Higher efficiency
- Lower weight reduces energy consumption while lower volume increase energy storage capacity, killing two birds with one stone.
- 4. Sustainability
- Lower part weight leads to lower raw material usage, while higher efficiency reduces energy consumption, double positive impact on sustainability.
- 5. Lower cost
- Lighter and smaller parts help reduce raw material usage of the component itself and the housing where they are placed. For example, smaller transformers would also lead to smaller converters, reducing overall cost.
- 6. Safety
- Improved thermal management reduces safety issues regarding overheating, battery thermal runaway, etc.
- Reduced of temperature
- Reduced weight
- Reduced volume
- Overall system efficiency
Many tests were done to verify the positive impact of CoolGap in the part temperature. A transformer and choke part was tested at different duty points. At 2L duty point the standard part reached 55ºC. The part temperature dropped to 31ºC when using CoolGap with 25ºC coolant (44% reduction). At 1L duty point the Coolgap part with 25ºC coolant reached a 37ºC lower temperature than the standard part. At 1L duty point the standard part reached 110ºC. The part temperature dropped to 94ºC when using CoolGap with 25ºC coolant (14.5% reduction).